Sunday, February 07, 2010

Critical Child Rearing Mistake No. 13 - School

Last week at a huge 3 years of age my little girl started kindergarten. Dropping her off felt truly awful. She didn't want to do the organised activity - puzzles - she's pretty independent at the best of time and being able to do the puzzles in about the same time it took to take them apart didn't help. She wasn't keen for me to leave either but with a moment distraction, as she received a dinosaur stamp from the teacher, I left. For 2 hours I sat around feeling like I dropped my daughter off to the chimney sweep for a month in return for a shiny silver coin.

On my return she was fine but the teacher said that she had to be very "firm" with her. Which my teaching wife assures me means she wasn't doing what she was asked. My daughter is such a free spirit and I hope it is not crushed at school.

2 comments:

ali said...

it's hard isn't it? so tricky to find that line when you have lovaly spontaneous little people and you see them having to fit into a system you don't necessarily agree with.. but i wouldn't stress too much - mia is still very much a free spirit after a whole year of kindy. So, for that matter, is my son tj after six years of six years of school.

Anonymous said...

Just a word of encouragement to leave your options open also.

I've worked in both education and in child / brain development agencies.

It seems I haven't read a lot of your blog, (just came across it the other day via nakedpastor.com), but whatever problematic, institutional, bureaucratic, and convoluted issues you may have considered existing in the church all apply to other "educational" systems as well. Because really at the heart, they aren't education focused, they're social conditioning focused.

You could just as easily write (or find) a blog called "A School-less Education". Having worked with children, development, and school, I home school my four kids.

Little brains are geared for exploration and relationship. Not boredom and bureaucracy. There's a reason Paul admonishes,"You can have many teachers, but not many fathers."

Just some feedback for someone who obviously loves his child enough to be concerned in a blog post :0)