According to a Bankwest Survey after growing up in the best place to live in Australia I am now living in the 481st best place to live. With only 590 places to choose from that's quiet a fall. I am slowly growing attached to where I live, but it's been hard to get attached. Getting to know the neighbours has been tricky, our lives and interests are often so different. I’ll soon be doing some garden retic for one neighbor and a Resume for another. Small steps. Most places I’ve lived in it's taken me 5 to 7 years before I’ve felt comfortable there and I suspect it may take longer here as my work stops me from being around at normal social hours. I'll be missing another BBQ this Saturday for example. There is always the temptation to climb the suburban ladder and move somewhere "nicer" or more affluent but when I ask myself where would someone like Mother Teresa or Shane Claiborne live the answer would be here and not somewhere "nicer".
5 comments:
Guess I'll stay where I am for the time being, sitting pretty in 50th place.
The list looks backwards to me based on the places where I have lived.
Yer, the list is skewed by the indicators they use. For example, the ideas that only detached housing is good means that more dense inner city areas don't fare so well. See here
we just spent two weeks with our kids and some friends in the worst place... Halls Creek. We used to live there and I would move back in the blink of an eye.
PS -no bankwest branch in halls creek hmmmmmm
I'm encouraged by your mention of five to seven years. We've been in our house for two and a half years and I'm still not feeling terribly connected.
Post a Comment