What will happen to you when you die? This is the classic evangelism question and for me typifies why many people just don’t connect with Xy. While Xns are asking what will happen when you die?, everyone else is asking how will I live tomorrow?
The more I read the gospels it strikes me that Jesus spoke more about now than an after life. The Kingdom of God was breaking into the world now. Jesus said "Now the kingdom of heaven is at had". Whether it was the Rich Young man or the Tax Collector, Jesus effect on people was immediate life transforming it was not something that they could hold on to for later. It was not only immediate but often counter intuitive, those with much being asked to give it up to follow Christ and those rejected from society being embraced or made embraceable.
I’d like to forget about heaven for a while and concentrate on tomorrow.
For the few interested I will get around to doing a post on God and Time soon I've got a few posts in the waiting in the wings that will come out first and I'm keen not to hurry it as much as the last post.
The more I read the gospels it strikes me that Jesus spoke more about now than an after life. The Kingdom of God was breaking into the world now. Jesus said "Now the kingdom of heaven is at had". Whether it was the Rich Young man or the Tax Collector, Jesus effect on people was immediate life transforming it was not something that they could hold on to for later. It was not only immediate but often counter intuitive, those with much being asked to give it up to follow Christ and those rejected from society being embraced or made embraceable.
I’d like to forget about heaven for a while and concentrate on tomorrow.
For the few interested I will get around to doing a post on God and Time soon I've got a few posts in the waiting in the wings that will come out first and I'm keen not to hurry it as much as the last post.
2 comments:
Hey Chris, it also seems to me that the New Testament pictures our hope after death as being connected to our resurrection, rather than being floating spirits. Not 'going to heaven' but a new Earth where God dwells with us - that is the fulfillment of the kingdom. Did you agree with this from your reading of N.T. Wright?
Hey there Nathan, Yes I do agree with this idea. I've agreed with this for as long as I can remember, even before reading Tom Wright.
Post a Comment