Thursday, April 12, 2007

Asking Companies about the Products they Sell

Last year in the Companies v's Countries post I proposed writing to companies to ask them to tell me of the social and environmental impact of the products they sell, particularly their name brand products. Well just over a month ago I started with the three lower budget big department stores... Target, K-Mart and Big W.

This is what I wrote to them
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to ask that you please tell me about the conditions under which your name brand products are made. I realise that much of the manufacturing process maybe outsourced to other companies but as it is who I am buying the product from I believe it is your responsibility to know how your product is made.

I would like to purchase all my products from companies that pay the employees of the producing companies a fair price and helps them gains the necessary skills and knowledge to develop their skills and work their way out of poverty. Also, I would like to buy from companies that have a neutral affect on the environment. If these things are not achievable I would at least like to purchase products from the industry leader in these matters.

If you can please write to me and let me know about these matters, including endorsements from any well recognised NGOs. That would be much appreciated.

I realise that implementing some of these things may result in an increase in the final cost of the item. I am more than happy to pay this.

Yours sincerely,

Chris

Unfortunately only one company responded, Target. Big W and K-Mart did not respond. Below is the letter I received for you to read, just click on the pictures to enlarge them.



The letter contains no specific targets or endorsements from NGOs but principles by which they operate is far more than I got from Big W or K-Mart. So in my most ethical lower budget big department store challenge, Target wins.

No comments: