Both Christmas and Easter have their roots in pagan festivals. That’s why we put wooden fruit on dormant trees at the winter solstice and why celebrate the fertility of rabbits at the beginning of spring Easter.
So when I hear Xns complaining that we have lost the true meaning of Christmas, I often wether we had a monopoly on the meaning of Christmas in the first place. Now more than ever the reality of Xmas (at least in my part of the world) is that Xmas is a multi faith celebration. With the most over represented faith probably being consumerism.
The question, I think, is not how can we get Xmas back to just a Xn festival but how can Xns make Christmas a Xn festival? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Christmas different from the Christmas that other people have? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Easter different from the Easter that other people have? Or, What is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Wedding different from the Wedding that other people have? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn life different from the life that other people have?
So when I hear Xns complaining that we have lost the true meaning of Christmas, I often wether we had a monopoly on the meaning of Christmas in the first place. Now more than ever the reality of Xmas (at least in my part of the world) is that Xmas is a multi faith celebration. With the most over represented faith probably being consumerism.
The question, I think, is not how can we get Xmas back to just a Xn festival but how can Xns make Christmas a Xn festival? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Christmas different from the Christmas that other people have? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Easter different from the Easter that other people have? Or, What is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn Wedding different from the Wedding that other people have? Or, what is it that Xns do differently that makes a Xn life different from the life that other people have?
No comments:
Post a Comment