Yet another A Churchless Faith post addressing topical issues way too long after they have happened. I have a family that comes first blog comes way down the list. Sorry. Anyway...
A couple of weeks ago the Sydney Anglican Arch Bishop was in the news speaking out against the playing of Frank Sinatra's "My Way" at funerals and the way he felt that it embodied a culture of individualism. My first thought was that I don't think he understands why people would want to play this song at a funeral. I was further surprised when I heard a large panel of people on Radio National discussion generally agree with Peter Jensen's sentiments.
I do not think playing "My Way" at a funeral comes about as either a celebration of or a cause of individualism. Rather, it is a symptom of the loneliness and isolation that people experience.
For better or worse gone are the days of extended family support, inheriting a trade from your father, a high school or university qualification guaranteeing long term stable employment, marriage as a life long commitment, your neighbours not only people who lived beside you but also worked played and went to school with you.
Certainly all of the above has a dark side. But theses things have gone leaving many people isolated and lonely. I believe many people play "My Way" simply because there was not a community with whom they could do it "Our Way". I suspect that for many "My Way" is more of a celebration of survival rather than individualism.
I do not think playing "My Way" at a funeral comes about as either a celebration of or a cause of individualism. Rather, it is a symptom of the loneliness and isolation that people experience.
For better or worse gone are the days of extended family support, inheriting a trade from your father, a high school or university qualification guaranteeing long term stable employment, marriage as a life long commitment, your neighbours not only people who lived beside you but also worked played and went to school with you.
Certainly all of the above has a dark side. But theses things have gone leaving many people isolated and lonely. I believe many people play "My Way" simply because there was not a community with whom they could do it "Our Way". I suspect that for many "My Way" is more of a celebration of survival rather than individualism.
4 comments:
I like your comment on the lack of an 'our way'. I didn't hear Jensen's original piece, but can I largely agree with that too? The scene from American Beauty where Carolyn is driving in the rain singing 'My Way' comes to mind; it's a film which depicts the ascendancy of individualism so well - but presents a version of it as a solution too.
Hey Nathan, I think you can agree with both ideas. Although different they are interrelated ideas and probably dangerous to see one but not the other.
On one of my shelves is a book called "101 Things Jesus Never Said". It contains 200 (not just 101) entertaining and sometimes pointed comments on commonplace church and secular thinking. The longest entry in the book is the full lyrics of "My Way".
hee hee, love it.
Post a Comment