Sunday, August 26, 2012

A Rambling Review Of Blue Like Jazz

Excluding historical bioppics like Romero or Molokai, Blue like Jazz is the best Christian movie I have ever seen. It's better than cross over films like The Blindside too. Before you say have you seen ... Does that movie involve a lesbian character character dispensing advice that starts "if you ever want to see a vagina without a credit card"? If not I probably won't like. That might be one of the cruder lines in the film but it nicely illustrates how the non Xn characters in the film can be flawed, in smaller areas like talking politely, but are often genuinely caring good hearted people.

I liked the book but I wasn't a huge fan, but that was partly due to my own theological journey (Book Review here). I have faced similar questions to Miller and come to slightly different conclusions. Unlike the book the movie is far more open ended, questions are asked Jesus is embraced but exactly how the theology of it all is worked out is yet to be sorted out. And comes across as something that might forever be a work in progress anyway. Like the characters in the film I too have a thing for John Coltrane's album "A Love Supreme". I went to University and was the only Christian (apart from one overseas student who avoided talking to anyone) in a large dormitory with Uni sex toilets. It was the early 90s and I owned the Tori Amos album discussed in the unisex toilet scene.

Finally one of the best elements of the film is Penny, the sort of the love interest character. She doesn't spend any dialogue swooning over boys or wondering how to catch a mate. She is who she is and doesn't change, bend or soften to win a man. If someone wants her they have to take her exactly as she is. If only more Hollywood films could write female roles like this.

No comments: