Why I'm Not A Good Evangelical
1. Christian music makes me feel nauseous.
2. I feel like I need to shower after leaving a Christian bookshop.
3. When I hear an atheist debate an evangelical I end up rooting for the atheist.
4. I didn't like "A Purpose Driven Life"
5. I worry about the "values" that could be taught to my kids at their Christian school.
6. When someone says "you know that Hillsong song we've been singing at church every Sunday for last 2 months" have to honestly say "no".
7. Penal substitutionary atonement drives me batty. (Atonement is so much bigger).
8. When I hear an evangelical preacher speak on just one verse from the Bible I quickly open mine to prove that in context the verse is unrelated to what he (OK once or twice it's been a she) is saying.
9. I'm OK with gay.
Why I'm Not A Mainline Liberal
1. Organ music makes me sleepy.
2. I like it when church has people under 55 in it.
3. When I hear an atheist debate an mainline liberal I'm not sure why they are a Christian (apart from growing up that way and now making some sort of living by saying they are one).
5. I think Rick Warren sounds like a great guy, and does some great things. (he gives away 90% of what he earns and works for his church for free. There's a reason he wears daggy Hawaiian shirts and not Armani Suits).
6. Even though they think social justice is more important than evangelicals they still don't give more money or do more than evangelical churches who think it's a minor concern.
7. Giving the bible and Jesus to the evangelicals so they could keep liturgy was not a good idea.
8. I just can't handle watching the newcomers getting completely lost flipping through the book of common prayer.
9. Robes look ridiculous.