Friday, August 29, 2008

Street Wisdom

Information is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom. We live in an age of information but we are not necessarily in age of wisdom. A lot of people I have met who live on the streets have a lot of wisdom yet not as much access to information as me. I think I can learn a lot from them. I'd like to take an information fast for a while, so I have time to process information I have into knowledge and then the time to live that knowledge into wisdom.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Define wisdom.

Dodgy Pete said...

Blunt av, I like your style.

Knowledge isn't wisdom. Being academically gifted doesn't equate to being wise.

The definition of wisdom I use is the ability to judiciously apply knowledge and experience.

What sorts of examples of wisdom have you seen from those who live on the streets?

I must say I think wisdom is one of the rarer qualities you see these days.

Chris said...

Hey Arthur,

Firstly can you just quit it with your long winded posts ;)

A defenition, I rather quickly got this off the net. I think my point was more that information gets turned into knowledge and then knowledge into wisdom. I can't help but think of a guy at school who was smart enough to build exlpoding stink bomb thing but dumb enough to let it off in front of a whole bunch of teachers. To me that's knowledge without wisdom. Does that make sense?

Taken from Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft corporation.

Data
1. information, often in the form of facts or figures obtained from experiments or surveys, used as a basis for making calculations or drawing conclusions
2.information, for example, numbers, text, images, and sounds, in a form that is suitable for storage in or processing by a computer

Information
1. definite knowledge acquired or supplied about something or somebody
2. the collected facts and data about a particular subject
3. a telephone service that supplies telephone numbers to the public on request.
4. the communication of facts and knowledge
5. computer data that has been organized and presented in a systematic fashion to clarify the underlying meaning
6. a formal accusation of a crime brought by a prosecutor, as opposed to an indictment brought by a grand jury

Knowledge
1. general awareness or possession of information, facts, ideas, truths, or principles
2. clear awareness or explicit information, for example, of a situation or fact
3. all the information, facts, truths, and principles learned throughout time
4. familiarity or understanding gained through experience or study

Wisdom
1. the knowledge and experience needed to make sensible decisions and judgments, or the good sense shown by the decisions and judgments made
2. accumulated knowledge of life or in a particular sphere of activity that has been gained through experience
3. an opinion that almost everyone seems to share or express
4. ancient teachings or sayings

Chris said...

Hey Dodgy Pete,

I think a lot of the wisdom I have seen has been about how to live through adversity, what sort of things are worth worrying about,and focusing on the things you can control. What often jars me is not the sadness that street people feel but the joy that some of them have inspirt of their cicumstances. It certainly can put things in perspective for me.

I've also had some interesting theological discussions with people. Discussion is probably the wrong word - it's more them telling me what they think. Always interesting to hear the point of view of someone who's suffering and what they think about God and humanity.