Monday, March 31, 2008

Monotheism

I was recently listening to a Philip Adam's podcast where a guest said that there is no monotheism in the bible. As I listened it struck me that this was indeed true. Israel was often worshiping other gods and the 10 commandments ask that Israel worships no other gods but Yahweh not that there is no other gods but Yahweh. Technically this is henotheism (worship of one God above all others) rather than monotheism. Similarly in Acts Paul talks of an unknown god as the god who made the world and does not go on to say that the other gods do not exist. This lack of information doesn't support the idea of Paul believing in henotheism it just doesn't support the idea of monotheism. Early Xns (not sure how early) were called atheists a reflection of their move from henotheism to monotheism I wodner when exactly this happened.

None the less the non monotheistic writings in the bible must at the very least be an acknowledgement that other belief systems work, in as much as they have a coherent internal logic and adherents to a particular belief system are not deluded, as I have sometimes heard Xns describe non Xns.

1 comment:

Nothead said...

True Christianity should be monotheist, the worship of one God, YHWH. And the one Lord of our LORD,
Jesus.

I don't know how you got extra-monotheism just because "other gods"
may exist. It doesn't matter. Christians do not worship them so they are still within bounds of the metaphor, monotheism.

Your blog makes no sense, here. I hesitate to investigate further.