How is it that we make amends for something that cannot be made right? How do we atone for what we have done and how we feel? Somethings can be fixed but the death of a child, disfigurement or even broken trust can be permanent. Whether we have directly done something, big or small or just stood idly by when, in retrospect we wished we'd acted, it makes no difference. Both have the same result, someone else has been hurt and I cannot take my action or inaction back.
Recently I saw the film atonement. A good film that I think could have been a great film if it focused less on being romance and more on the conundrum of atonement.
It strikes me that as a society we have not come up with any way of atoning be that a Xn or secular ritual. Now I realise atonement is the big thing in Xy. Jesus died for our sins etc... But this is about our relationship with god not with other humans. Further more sometime fixing a relationship with God is always easier. You have time on your side with an eternal deity. With humans we don't have that same luxury. I'd love to know what atheist, humanist or other religious and philosophical thinkers have to say about this issue? l have previously expressed my frustration with some Xn ideas about forgiveness. A reconciled relationship with one person or God) doesn't mean reconciliation with another human.
I think a relationship cannot be reconciled without the victim offering forgiveness. But this for good or bad reasons may not be available. How you atone shows how serious you consider your error and how much you value the relationship. The question is still how? After watching the film Atonement this question kept resonating in my head.
Recently I saw the film atonement. A good film that I think could have been a great film if it focused less on being romance and more on the conundrum of atonement.
It strikes me that as a society we have not come up with any way of atoning be that a Xn or secular ritual. Now I realise atonement is the big thing in Xy. Jesus died for our sins etc... But this is about our relationship with god not with other humans. Further more sometime fixing a relationship with God is always easier. You have time on your side with an eternal deity. With humans we don't have that same luxury. I'd love to know what atheist, humanist or other religious and philosophical thinkers have to say about this issue? l have previously expressed my frustration with some Xn ideas about forgiveness. A reconciled relationship with one person or God) doesn't mean reconciliation with another human.
I think a relationship cannot be reconciled without the victim offering forgiveness. But this for good or bad reasons may not be available. How you atone shows how serious you consider your error and how much you value the relationship. The question is still how? After watching the film Atonement this question kept resonating in my head.
1 comment:
The movie Atonement reminded me of the fact that true atonement is hard to come by. i doubt this lady got hers by writing a different ending in her novel...
Post a Comment