Last weekend my wife pointed out to me that I have a shirt fetish. I had bought 4 new shirts that weekend (two brand new from target for $4.86 each! I'm wearing one of them in the picture) this made a total of 28 shirts she felt that this was not quite in keeping with our Live Simply philosophy, and since she quite adequately argued that I hadn't worn many of them for years and there are other people who might like to wear them I agreed it was time for a cull - I'm glad three velvet jackets or two pairs of velvet pants does not constitute a fetish. The shirt cull was very painful because for most of my life I have lived without a camera instead I have kept my memories in shirts (velvet jackets and the occasional pair of terry toweling shorts).

I culled only a handful from of my collection (this is a before the cull picture) . The wedding shirt, first date shirt all had to stay, the shirt I wore the day I moved into the house where I met my wife had to go. My first groovy opshop shirt had to go (as much as I hate to admit it now, it's not actually that groovy). The first groovy opshop shirt my wife bought me had to stay. As hard as the culling of my cotton and occasionally polyester memory banks was I'll have to trust that my memories have gone to a better place, and that there will be more and better empty memory banks for me to find hanging on discount racks and at opshops.
3 comments:
All I can think of looking at that picture is how many man-hours (or wife-hours?) were taken up in ironing?!!
As they are man shirts there are no wife hours of ironing only man hours. I have reduced the number of ironing hours by firstly embracing polyester and secondly hanging shirts to dry the right way on the line.
In any case, the number of ironing hours are not proportional to the total number of shirts but rather to the total number of days wearing shirts (which is usually the same wether you have 5 shirts or 500 shirts).
I’ve thought this through…
Actually, since I don't wear ties at the moment I've been thinking of converting my ties (which have been sitting in a cupboard for 10 years) into a super funky skirt for my wife.
Post a Comment