This post was going to be "3 in 3 weeks" then "4 in 4 weeks" and now it's "5 in 5 weeks". In the last 5 weeks 5 people close to me (including myself) have been diagnosed with depression or are wanting to go to a doctor to get medication for depression. Previously I asked would Jesus get depressed? now I'm not sure what to ask, perhaps why are so many people depressed and what is it about our lives that makes things so overwhelming. Relative to so many others in the world we have so much. My suspicion is that there is some incongruence between how are lives are and how we and others expect them to be. Firstly, advertising tells us that with purchase of a product we will have freedom, sex appeal and vitality but the reality is we will just have a new car or a shampoo bottle or a fizzy drink. If we purchase the product we are dissatisfied becasue we don't get those things if we don't purchase we are dissatisfied becuase we don't have the product to give us those things. Secondaly, most people around us are projecting an image of contentment and happiness, regardless of how they actually feel, leaving many of us to feel very alone if we feel other wise. Finally, our relative affluence and the common belief that money and things buy happiness keeps us chasing more money more things, and the belief that it must be possible especially when it seems like those around us who have these things are happy. After all that's what advertising tells us and what the people them selves try to project.
So what do we do? I don't know, I probably not in a good state to work it out, but it's something more than the magic white pills that help so many of us get through each day.
So what do we do? I don't know, I probably not in a good state to work it out, but it's something more than the magic white pills that help so many of us get through each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment