Kevin Smith of Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma but definitely not Jersey Girl fame has been blogging about his long term friend Jason Mewes' addiction to drugs and Kevin's battle to help him. It is the most compelling thing I have read yet on the web.
If you want to read it go to http://silentbobspeaks.com/
Like many Kevin Smith has a special place in my heart. I can still remember seeing Chasing Amy and Clerks as a double at Newcastle's the Regal Cinema. Clerks is often heralded as Kevin's best work but Chasing Amy has a special place in my heart, Jason Lee is excellent, and has remained as one of my favourite sleeper movies (a good movie most people haven't seen). Sleeper movies are great when you're out with a bunch of new friends and you either don't have enough money for a new release or at least one person in the group has watched every movie in the new release section and no one wants to see the movie they've already seen again. This when you say "hey has anyone seen - insert sleeper movie title here - ?" They all say "no", you take it home watch it and all your new friends are impressed that you knew of a great movie that they have never even heard of. So one night I was at the video store with my new girlfriend (who would later be my wife and is still really yet to see the funny side of this) and three of her friends and we were searching for a movie. All the movies they wanted to watch I thought were awful or I'd seen and all the movies I wanted to watch they thought were awful or had seen. We were at a video store impasse so I trumped everyone by going to the weeklies and asking "has anyone seen Chasing Amy?". Now seeing that the cover touted Chasing Amy as a modern day love story and all my girlfriends friends were all from a conservative religous school and had never had a serious boyfriend and who had been brought up at a school and church were the sex education went kind of along the lines of "don't even think about it" (it was quite a sheltered upbringing all round). Any way they all thought "modern day love story great lets watch it that sounds very romantic". Now (relatively speaking) being a little bit more of a man of the world shall we say that not once did it occur to me that these good conservative religous girls might actually find some of the content offensive. That was until the scene when Alyssa and Banky started trading stories of injuries they'd received whilst giving someone oral sex. Instead of laughter there was silence in the room. If I had a camera on top of the TV I could have taken a photo of everyone's epiglottis. There jaws had hit the ground. Needless to say the film did get more graphic and laughter did not in sew. None the less as time passes my recollection of this day gets funnier and funnier. Thanks Kevin.
If you want to read it go to http://silentbobspeaks.com/
Like many Kevin Smith has a special place in my heart. I can still remember seeing Chasing Amy and Clerks as a double at Newcastle's the Regal Cinema. Clerks is often heralded as Kevin's best work but Chasing Amy has a special place in my heart, Jason Lee is excellent, and has remained as one of my favourite sleeper movies (a good movie most people haven't seen). Sleeper movies are great when you're out with a bunch of new friends and you either don't have enough money for a new release or at least one person in the group has watched every movie in the new release section and no one wants to see the movie they've already seen again. This when you say "hey has anyone seen - insert sleeper movie title here - ?" They all say "no", you take it home watch it and all your new friends are impressed that you knew of a great movie that they have never even heard of. So one night I was at the video store with my new girlfriend (who would later be my wife and is still really yet to see the funny side of this) and three of her friends and we were searching for a movie. All the movies they wanted to watch I thought were awful or I'd seen and all the movies I wanted to watch they thought were awful or had seen. We were at a video store impasse so I trumped everyone by going to the weeklies and asking "has anyone seen Chasing Amy?". Now seeing that the cover touted Chasing Amy as a modern day love story and all my girlfriends friends were all from a conservative religous school and had never had a serious boyfriend and who had been brought up at a school and church were the sex education went kind of along the lines of "don't even think about it" (it was quite a sheltered upbringing all round). Any way they all thought "modern day love story great lets watch it that sounds very romantic". Now (relatively speaking) being a little bit more of a man of the world shall we say that not once did it occur to me that these good conservative religous girls might actually find some of the content offensive. That was until the scene when Alyssa and Banky started trading stories of injuries they'd received whilst giving someone oral sex. Instead of laughter there was silence in the room. If I had a camera on top of the TV I could have taken a photo of everyone's epiglottis. There jaws had hit the ground. Needless to say the film did get more graphic and laughter did not in sew. None the less as time passes my recollection of this day gets funnier and funnier. Thanks Kevin.
No comments:
Post a Comment