I can remember being asked this after a presentation I once did in the late 90's. I think I may have compared something Jesus said to something Fred Nile said and something Marilyn Manson said, and basically I think Marilyn Mason had paraphrased the Jesus quote and Fred said the opposite. None the less lots of Xns say stupid things and lots of Xns have moral stances on issues which have a pretty flimsy biblical basis and lots of Xns are out of touch with the rest of the world. But for me Fred Nile was and still has something extra and that was illustrated once again to me when I was reading the latest copy of the Big Issue when Helen Razer, in an article where she was talking about rejecting atheism and looking into different spiritualities and faiths including the one she grew up with - Christianity. She said...
"I actually considered embracing the religion of my family origin for a minute. And then - rather fortuitously I think as I tend to go all in with new hobbies and spend lots of money on accessories - I was delivered from faith. Fred Nile came on my radio talking about how Brokeback Mountain was a sinful movie and that the homosexual Agenda, or some such, was poison etc etc."
This is what annoys me about Fred Nile. It's not what he believes or even what he does but it's his ability to turn people away from Xy with more force than anyone I have ever known. Whether Helen Razer was seriously looking into Xy or not is my point as I have known dozens of people who my first step to explain Xy has ended up being to explain that it's not like Fred Nile in fact usually quite the opposite. This article has served to remind me of many of those conversations.
Also I once saw Fred Nile speak at a church (quite by accident) where he read Romans 13:6 For the same reason you also pay taxes, for the authorities are God's servants, busy with this very thing. To which he said what Paul meant to say that the authorities should be God's servants, that is you should be voting in only Xns into parliament.
2 comments:
ut hink thats the only thing wrong with fred?
I could go on... but if I had to name but one thing that would be it.
Post a Comment