Sunday, January 02, 2005

Core Beliefs or Core Story

An interesting phrase caught my eye in the book the shaping of things to come. The phrase was "core beliefs". I am wondering if when people say they like Jesus but they don't like the church, that the difference is that the church is based on a system of beliefs and that the life of Jesus is a story. Beliefs by there vary nature are decisive and exclusive, either you believe or you don't. A story on the other hand is far more flexible, it not only talks to people at many levels but people with varying beliefs can engage with the story. Perhaps this is one reason why Jesus used parables instead of statements of belief.

I'd like to see Xns move away from "core beliefs" to "core stories".

1 comment:

backyardmissionary said...

G'day Chris
I posted a comment on your blog a few posts back (which for some reason has disappeared...) I was going to emal but couldn't find an email address anywhere.

Not sure if you have heard of the Forge network, but we are in the process of addressing some of the questions you are raising and helping people make that journey to a new missiology and ecclesiology.

Drop me an email if you'd like to know more. hamo@forge.org.au or give me a call 0400044236. We are looking to connect with creatve thinkers and dreamers so we might have some synergy