A friend of mine recently put it like this...
Trying to make church more attractive to a non-Xn is very much like trying to make going to a nudist colony more attractive. Usually we do things like serve good coffee or have great music. But I think it's fair to say that that has as much chance of getting someone to church as a having good coffee or great music at a nudist colony. For most people the idea is not even on their radar.
To often I think we worry about getting the wrapping right and forgetting to explain what the present is all about. No matter how good the packaging is if the person isn't interested in the gift they are not going to like it.
In fact, this will be my new test if any one suggests doing xxx in order to get more people to church I will think would that get me to a nudist colony? If the answer is no then, then I'll advise them against doing xxx if the sole reason is to get more people to church.
Trying to make church more attractive to a non-Xn is very much like trying to make going to a nudist colony more attractive. Usually we do things like serve good coffee or have great music. But I think it's fair to say that that has as much chance of getting someone to church as a having good coffee or great music at a nudist colony. For most people the idea is not even on their radar.
To often I think we worry about getting the wrapping right and forgetting to explain what the present is all about. No matter how good the packaging is if the person isn't interested in the gift they are not going to like it.
In fact, this will be my new test if any one suggests doing xxx in order to get more people to church I will think would that get me to a nudist colony? If the answer is no then, then I'll advise them against doing xxx if the sole reason is to get more people to church.
1 comment:
ha! that is interesting - was surfing around - found your site and then read this...
its a story i often use so its funny to see that either someone else is on the same plane or is passing it on
either way it works!
http://backyardmissionary.typepad.com/backyardmissionary/2004/02/get_your_gear_o.html
Post a Comment