Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Invade Rage

Rage are offering people the chance to host a night. All you have to do is send in your 20 favourite video clips. Here are my quick thoughts of the 20 songs I'd choose and why (in no particular order and bound to change by tomorrow).
  1. Ship Song - Nick Cave: First time I saw made me realise that good music was being played in the 80's (all my friends were listening to Bon Jovis' Slippery when wet) and the little children like cherubs floating around Nick Cave at his piano was just mesmorising.
  2. Here it Goes - OK GO: Yes I know you've all seen it but it's still the best budget video ever made.
  3. Sweet Child of mine - Guns 'n' Roses: They were the Moses of Grunge. They paved the way for everyone else to go into the promised land but failed to get their themselves.
  4. So Real - Jeff Buckley: This was the first song Jeff Buckley song I heard that made me stand up and take notice of Jeff Buckley. And, the monkeys on and the bike is great
  5. Ghost of Texas Ladies man - Concrete Blonde: Just because it has the line "Ecto plasmic lover from the other side" and I can still see Johnette Napolitano's bass line crawling across my bedroom ceiling
  6. Television Drug of the Nation - The Disposable Heroes of Hipocracy: This is the song that turned me on to rap
  7. Hide your love away - The Beatles: One of the few Beatles song that has a proper video
  8. Sues Last ride - The Dirty Three: I first heard the Dirty three live on Triple J and thought it was Neil young. Then I saw them perform just after the horse stories album in between a Blondie cover band and Scatterbrain (remeber "Don't call me dude"?). They were amazing, I've been a fan ever since.
  9. Underground - Ben Folds Five: After too much grungy guitar this song was such a breath of fresh air. It was like Billy Joel's bastard son had learned to rock
  10. To Bring you my love - PJ Harvey: I had to have on PJ Song
  11. 77% - The Herd: Australian accents and great political rap at a time when American rap seemed to be all abut bitches and money.
  12. Get Free - The Vines: In 1997 (I think) a friend handed me a demo tape of a band who wanted to play support with my band. The song on the tape was great and they played support for for us. Years later I saw them play support with You Am I, I said hello to Craig and congratulated him on a great set and he remembered me as the guy with the homemade red guitar. Little did I know that just two weeks later NME would be calling them the best thing in rock since Nirvana. And I even handed them back the demon tape so they wouldn't have to go to the expense of making another one. D'oh!
  13. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana: Like everyone else who had to grow up listening to Rick Astley and Jason Donavon this song was
  14. Mark of Cain - LMA: a beautiful ballad disguised as heavy rock.
  15. Thursday - Morphine: Like Ben Folds great to hear a no guitar band.
  16. Fake Plastic Trees- Radiohead: Still can't remember what was more surprising the silliness of the name of the song of the beauty of the music.
  17. Kool Thing - Sonic Youth: I fist heard this song in the Hal Hartley film "Simple men". The coolest and weirdest dance routine in a film ever. I would love it if rage could play that instead of the real clip. When I did see the clip I was convinced I needed to join a band with a female bass player
  18. Everybody Hurts - REM: A beautiful powerful video
  19. Jesus Built my Hotrod - Ministry: This clip always seemed to be on when I first started watching rage and the song always reminds of Rage. At first I thought it was just weird noise now I like it.
  20. Killing in the name of - Rage Against The Machine: This song just blew my head off. So much power, passion and energy.

I'll hold off till the end before entering becasue I know I'll change my mind. Let me know if you think I've missed anything.

3 comments:

Arthur_Vandelay said...

Hey! There's a meme going around about this very topic.

Arthur_Vandelay said...

By the way, my choices are here.

Chris said...

Some nice choices there Arthur and a few the same. Looks like we both spent too many early morning hours watching rage in the early to mid 90s.