Well flirting with a church leads to getting involved with a church and that's exactly what I've done. At first it was some innocent rocking up to an alpha course (I'll do pretty much anything for a free feed) and the occasional bit of bass playing. Now, with two weeks notice I've committed to doing a talk at the church in just 13 days time. The topic: "Undeserved Suffering" – Facing the fact of evils inflicted on innocent people by natural disaster, sickness, or accident." Am I nuts? I'll let you know in two weeks. Oh, and let me know if you have any tips for the talk. Ta.
5 comments:
crikey mate!
i reckon having to preach in church is a good enough illustration of 'undeserved suffering' :)
Damn, what are you doing!?
there is this magic two letter word that you should use a little more often, that starts with an N and ends in a "phew i don't have to do that".
love to know the angle you plan to take on this one...
Why don't you take the "I was going to speak on 'Undeserved Suffering - facing the of evils inflicted on innocent people by natural disaster, sickness or accident' but instead I'm going to speak on "Undeserved Suffering - facing of the evils inflicted on people by Christians who spend their time focusing on the wrong things when they're called to seek justice, freedom and love for those exact people that they're sitting in a building theorising about" approach.
And then go on to encourage a response to the human and natural injustices in the world in a way that reflects deeply the way of Christ.
I'm being cynical.
Hopefully, no matter what you say, it can communicate some truth about God. I'm sure, in fact, that will be the case. Everyone has a peice of the truth, right?
Well thank you all your responses,
Firstly Hamo, preaching in a church isn't that bad. Listening to a sermon however, now that's suffering.
Secondly Derek, I too would like to know hat angle I'm taking. I'm thinking maybe "You only suffer because you don't have enough faith" or "who are we to question the ways of God, just ask when you get to heaven".
Thirdly Anon, hopefully I can communicate some truth about God. The test will be if people start thinking what am I doing theorising about this when I could be acting in compassion.
Firstly Hamo, preaching in a church isn't that bad. Listening to a sermon however, now that's suffering.
I'm on prac at a northern suburbs private school which makes its students sit through that every week. The humanity!
Post a Comment