Well it was 6 months ago that I built some veggie boxes and now they have stuff growing in them. What's more some of that stuff is edible!
This is the snow peas and pumpkins, As you can see we underestimated how big the snowpeas would get and we killed the pumpkins, hence half the box is empty. I have no idea how they seemed to grow like weeds last time I tried.
This is the carrots and broccoli. Way more than we expected.
This is the cauliflower and spinach. Way more than we expected.
This is the herbs - more to plant later.
This is the strawberries - only planted recently.
All in all I'm pretty happy with our first stab we should have enough carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach to feed the entire street. The spinach tastes great as does the herbs we are yet to eat anything else. I can recommend Eden Seeds if you like the idea of 98% of your seeds turning into plants. I have an aim to be growing at least 50% of everything we eat. We also have apples, peach, plums, grapes, avocado, mango, fig, pear, apricot, lime and mandarin trees. We got to eat a hand full of delicious plums this year. I think we could be on our way to 50%. Hopefully we can prove that sustainable living in a regular suburb with regular off the shelf house is possible.
My future sustainability projects include setting up a water tank and solar power. Solar will be for the unpowered shed to start and eventually I'd like to do the whole house but have no idea who to get help from. I need someone who will let me DIY most of it (it's way expensive if you get someone to set the whole thing up for you).
All in all I'm pretty happy with our first stab we should have enough carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach to feed the entire street. The spinach tastes great as does the herbs we are yet to eat anything else. I can recommend Eden Seeds if you like the idea of 98% of your seeds turning into plants. I have an aim to be growing at least 50% of everything we eat. We also have apples, peach, plums, grapes, avocado, mango, fig, pear, apricot, lime and mandarin trees. We got to eat a hand full of delicious plums this year. I think we could be on our way to 50%. Hopefully we can prove that sustainable living in a regular suburb with regular off the shelf house is possible.
My future sustainability projects include setting up a water tank and solar power. Solar will be for the unpowered shed to start and eventually I'd like to do the whole house but have no idea who to get help from. I need someone who will let me DIY most of it (it's way expensive if you get someone to set the whole thing up for you).





No comments:
Post a Comment