I have been recently hit by a desire to become vegetarian. Killing animals to eat them has never sat well with me but buying meat at the supermarket is fine. However I think it's time to stop pretending they are two unconnected things.
I always remember the first time I read Genesis and realised humanity was vegetarian until after the flood. I'm guessing there wouldn't have been an abundance of fruit and vegetables after a flood. (Here are the passages)
God said, "See, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit; you shall have them for food. And to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food." And it was so. God saw everything that he had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
Genesis 1:29-31
Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and just as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
Genesis 9:3
Part of my own theology has always been an idea to "Get back to the Garden". That is that God's desire is not to wisk us away to some ethereal church like heaven, rather it's to get us back to Eden. So, in every thing I think how can I make the world more Eden like. And, I think being vegetarian just might be one of those things. My sister, who used to own a t-shirt with the slogan: if animals could talk they'd say "please don't eat me", will be happy and it's going to be much better for the planet if we are all vegetarian. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. But if you think it does here's a quote...
Nothing will benefit human health, and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth, as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet.
Albert Einstein
1 comment:
God's permission to eat meat was a concession to a fallen world. It also had a condition 'But you must not eat meat that has it's lifeblood still in it' Gen 9:4.
Many theologians interpret this verse as meaning that we should have a 'reverence for all life'.
To me that means that you do not have God's permission to eat meat if there is an alternative diet available.
Post a Comment