Friday, April 07, 2006

To "Passion" or to "McPassion"?

Easter is approaching which means that many churches will be getting out their DVD copies of Mel Gibson's "The Passion" and doing screenings for all. I for one have not seen the film all I know is that it is incredibly graphic in it's portrayal of Jesus torture and death. David Straton from the movie show described it as "the most relentlessly violent film I've ever seen" in his review of the film. So I guess I'd like to ask why would a church show this movie? What is the point of such a graphic account of what Jesus went through? Particularly without any of the context of his life of resurrection? I get the feeling that Mel and fans of the movie feel that the book version just glides to lightly over the pain and suffering Jesus went through. I think those original authors did so because Easter is not about the pain and suffering, which can often make people feel guilty, rather it is about the gift that Jesus is and gifts can only bring joy (socks are an exception).

So, if you're stuck in a church insisting on screening the movie maybe you can suggest that they also embrace McPassion meals and toys for the kids. (stop reading watch the movie on the site then come back) I hope insisting on the embracing of McPassion meals and toys for the kids may at least bring some joy as you watch "The Passion" fans squirm through an explanation of how inappropriate it all is for kids but not for adults. When they say "But the movie shows what it is really like and what Jesus really went through" you can say "But the McPassion toys show what it is really like and what Jesus really went through" eventually they will relent and say look "the violence makes kids cry and we're hoping it'll make adults feel guilty and then spend more time at church". If that doesn't stop them showing the movie maybe you'd like to try reading here, here and here.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Hey Matt,

Just had a thought. You may have difficulty watching your copy of the passion and you gave it to me and my wife threw it in the bin. She doesn't like combining religion and senseless violence.

Anonymous said...

McPassion now streaming on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4TKVyEc91s