I think almost every e-forum, e-group or blog comments section that I have ever taken a part of I have been misunderstood, and have had someone go to great lengths to passionately argue against something that they think I have said but that I have not. Now I'm the first to admit that I am not the most articulate person in the world but I did manage to get a university education which involved lots of writing so there must be lots of web using people at least as inarticulate as me. The problem with web based discussions is that (1) you cannot put any emotion into what you write, as what you write is almost always very short (unlike an essay). So things written in jest, as self deprecation or sarcastically get missed (2) If people don't know you personally they can often put you into a box be that agnostic or extreme fundamentalist. I've been in both and I don't think I belong to either. What's more every time I read something written by a particular person it just sounds really aggressive and he's one of the most peaceful people I know!
So, I've decided to take a break from commenting on the web (apart from this blog).
No comments:
Post a Comment