Ok, after looking through the Bible with the hypothesis that penal substitution isn’t there I’ve discovered something kind of cool. Substitution is often read into verses where it just isn’t there but Substitution is in the Bible. This was exciting because I think when we tell the gospel as substitution or particularly penal substitution we are missing out on the full picture of Jesus. It would be a bit like telling someone about an elephant and only describing the trunk, missing out on the tail, the ears the legs the feet the skin. We all discover an elephant or Jesus in different ways. For example, if I was part of a tribe of people who gave sacrifices as way of showing repentance (like the Jewish people did) then I might connect with Jesus through the lens of the Jesus as the last sacrifice. If, like much of modern society, I did not have that way of looking at things I may not connect with Jesus in that way but another. Perhaps like I described in my new analogy for atonement post.
What my little escapade in to scripture has done is made me excited that the story of Jesus connects with people in so many ways of which substitution is only a small one. What we need to be responsible is for is how we tell that story and what lens we tell it through. We may only have to describe the tail and the ears before someone falls in the elephant – particularly if they have an aversion to the idea of eating with your nose. This is perhaps why some of the best analogies for Jesus life come from modern movies directed by non Xns who aren't thinking "must tell story through the lens of substitution"
What my little escapade in to scripture has done is made me excited that the story of Jesus connects with people in so many ways of which substitution is only a small one. What we need to be responsible is for is how we tell that story and what lens we tell it through. We may only have to describe the tail and the ears before someone falls in the elephant – particularly if they have an aversion to the idea of eating with your nose. This is perhaps why some of the best analogies for Jesus life come from modern movies directed by non Xns who aren't thinking "must tell story through the lens of substitution"
So I've moved on from asking "Why did Jesus die?" now I am asking how am I going to tell the Jesus story in a way that will connect to the person I am telling it to.
No comments:
Post a Comment