Thursday, October 20, 2005

Connect, Grow and Serve where do new Xns fit in?

Connect Grow and Serve is starting to work as a really nice way of framing things for me. This along with the concept of doing things Solo in Small groups and in Large groups. Basically my premise is that as Xn you need to Connect (with God) Grow (in faith & as a person) and Serve (others) and that this can be done solo and in small and large groups.


Basically I'm doing lot's of the solo variety at the moment and I'm keen to do more of the Small and Large group variety.

What is interesting (I think), in a recent conversation with a friend where we looking at setting up some kind of church service type thing and perhaps some sort of intergrated network of Xns, (that wasn't quite the intent of the original conversation) most people who don't identify as Xns connect with Serve and Connect type activities. Serving might be things like giving food for the hungry - I think they look at stuff like that and think "yer this is what the world should be doing more of, I want to hang out with people who want to do that kind of stuff" . People also connect with the Connect stuff things like a prayer work or a meditation, things without a prescribed theology.

The problem is that we tend to really major on Grow things where we teach people hey this is what we believe kind of stuff. We tend to start with this and then say now we'll connect with God or go and serve some people. So we might start by telling friends "hey why don't you do an Alpha course". Where as perhaps we could start by giving people a chance to connect with God or to serve others first and then secondly offer them some kind of theological understanding with which to frame those experiences.

No comments: