I previously posted that my family and I are no longer going to the church we've been at for the past 8 years we're also not going to any other church. Honestly, been really hard but it's also been great. You can probably imagine the hard stuff so today I'll talk about the great stuff. In many ways family life has become more overtly spiritual than before. We've instigated "lounge time", an idea stolen from a couple of friends. This is we're we sit together at the end of the day as family for 20mins and do "stuff". This can be a combination of praying, singing, bible story reading, drawing, hugging, tickling and telling each other why we love each other. We all take turns in deciding the agenda for the night and the kids love it.
We also had Easter recently and it was the best Easter we've had in a long time. Good Friday we hung out with another family who we greatly admire and got to do a kind of alternate worship thing in a park. It was based on the Space service I blogged about many years ago. I wasn't sure if my kids had listened much to the story until my youngest drew the picture below which includes the blacken sky and the nail holes on the cross.
We also had Easter recently and it was the best Easter we've had in a long time. Good Friday we hung out with another family who we greatly admire and got to do a kind of alternate worship thing in a park. It was based on the Space service I blogged about many years ago. I wasn't sure if my kids had listened much to the story until my youngest drew the picture below which includes the blacken sky and the nail holes on the cross.
Easter Sunday we had lunch with what is really a fairly odd collection of people. Some were refugees some were recently hurt by church, one person had an obvious physical disability, and so on. We ate food and sang some Valley Songs together. To me it was the Kingdom of God breaking into the world.
What's more, I got to choose whether I'd tell the Easter Story in a "your such horrible sinners look at what God had to do to Jesus" kind of way or "Not even death is going to stop the inbreaking of God's kingdom of love into this world" kind of way. So right now I'm feeling "Church pfft that was so last millennium". Which is probably what you'd expect from this blog right?
4 comments:
Why did you jump out Chris?
I'm not a believer in there being such a thing as a 'churchless' faith :)
BTW - that was Hamo - not sure how I became 'unblogged'!
Hey Hamo, reasons are complicated and painful and I've chosen not to blog about them. In theory I don't believe in churchless faith either but that's kind of where I am right now. I remember you saying something similar on one of the really early posts on this blog some nine years ago. I'm not sure what the future holds, whether I'll end up back at regular church, starting something myself or slide off into cynical agnosticism. But, I'm sure I'll post about the journey there.
Hi Chris
Your Easter doesn't sound churchless to me. Worship with a diverse group of friends sounds like the body of Christ. It just doesn't sound like an organisation, and all the better for that.
Post a Comment