But as one of those -- currently mid-fifties -- who's staring down the future at being one of the elderly women left in the church (last one out, turn out the lights) what precisely are we meant to do about that?
If I could be younger, believe me, I would. I could slightly alter the demographic by leaving, I guess -- would that be the truly loyal thing to do? Like in Darkness at Noon, to accept that what I believe so much in and have thrown my life into, would be better off cutting me loose?
If I sound a bit bitter -- yes, I am! Years of struggle and some gradual learning what it's all about, and how things work, and now to be faced with scorn for being older. Gee thanks.
I hear your pain. I like to believe that were there is one fifty something woman saying "what the heck are we doing? Can't you see we're on the fast road to extinction?" then there is hope (pardon the pun)
What can you do? Well, that's hard and will depend on your context, but certainly being a prophetic voice is one first step. Being the person saying "if we don't do something I'll be turning out the lights and locking the door behind me" and telling people that the teenagers who left decades ago will not be coming back in droves once they have children.
It's probably worth remembering, as clichéd as it might sound, that you alone will not be able to change the church. God will be doing that ;) when people start agreeing with you the question then becomes what do we do. The answer will essentialy some sort of cross cultural mission were all involved that the old ways of doing things just isn't going to wash.
I love a story Dave Andrews tells about wanting to do a service for some of the marginalised people in his community. He was told no - I think the implication was why not invite them to the regular service. Instead he got permission to use the church hall, ran the service as a non church event and was then asked (by the people who had originally said no) to make it an official church service.
Hope that helps sorry the response is a bit "here's the solution" I wasn't meaning top ignore your obvious pain and frustration.
2 comments:
But as one of those -- currently mid-fifties -- who's staring down the future at being one of the elderly women left in the church (last one out, turn out the lights) what precisely are we meant to do about that?
If I could be younger, believe me, I would. I could slightly alter the demographic by leaving, I guess -- would that be the truly loyal thing to do? Like in Darkness at Noon, to accept that what I believe so much in and have thrown my life into, would be better off cutting me loose?
If I sound a bit bitter -- yes, I am! Years of struggle and some gradual learning what it's all about, and how things work, and now to be faced with scorn for being older. Gee thanks.
Hello Hope thanks for commenting.
I hear your pain. I like to believe that were there is one fifty something woman saying "what the heck are we doing? Can't you see we're on the fast road to extinction?" then there is hope (pardon the pun)
What can you do? Well, that's hard and will depend on your context, but certainly being a prophetic voice is one first step. Being the person saying "if we don't do something I'll be turning out the lights and locking the door behind me" and telling people that the teenagers who left decades ago will not be coming back in droves once they have children.
It's probably worth remembering, as clichéd as it might sound, that you alone will not be able to change the church. God will be doing that ;) when people start agreeing with you the question then becomes what do we do. The answer will essentialy some sort of cross cultural mission were all involved that the old ways of doing things just isn't going to wash.
I love a story Dave Andrews tells about wanting to do a service for some of the marginalised people in his community. He was told no - I think the implication was why not invite them to the regular service. Instead he got permission to use the church hall, ran the service as a non church event and was then asked (by the people who had originally said no) to make it an official church service.
Hope that helps sorry the response is a bit "here's the solution" I wasn't meaning top ignore your obvious pain and frustration.
Post a Comment