When I hear people talking about their particular Xn tradition, whether that be sacramental, evangelical, Anglican or what ever, I start thinking what is my tradition? I certainly don't feel like I fit into any of the usual Xn traditions.
Well, I think my tradition might be Evangelical Para-Church.
I didn't grow up in a church going family, I took myself off to Sunday school and then off to youth group. My parents didn't want me going to church and getting to heavily involved in the whole thing so I’d meet up with my friends after church on a Sunday night. My "church calendar" was exactly the same as the school calendar. This is a pattern that continued when I left home, went to uni and got involved with a Xn group on campus. Church on Sunday was all but impossible with a very sparse public transport system. Christmas and Easter were not big events in fact they were holidays when the group didn't meet.
After moving to a new city I found it hard to find a church. I felt more comfortable in and easier to meet other Xns at para-church organisations, which is where I felt most of the mission of the church was being done anyway. The church I'm with now is as churchy as I have ever got and we only meet once a fortnight for big (more traditional) church, on the other fortnight we have a home group / church kind of thing.
Maybe this is why I don't feel like I fit with any of the traditional church traditions.
Well, I think my tradition might be Evangelical Para-Church.
I didn't grow up in a church going family, I took myself off to Sunday school and then off to youth group. My parents didn't want me going to church and getting to heavily involved in the whole thing so I’d meet up with my friends after church on a Sunday night. My "church calendar" was exactly the same as the school calendar. This is a pattern that continued when I left home, went to uni and got involved with a Xn group on campus. Church on Sunday was all but impossible with a very sparse public transport system. Christmas and Easter were not big events in fact they were holidays when the group didn't meet.
After moving to a new city I found it hard to find a church. I felt more comfortable in and easier to meet other Xns at para-church organisations, which is where I felt most of the mission of the church was being done anyway. The church I'm with now is as churchy as I have ever got and we only meet once a fortnight for big (more traditional) church, on the other fortnight we have a home group / church kind of thing.
Maybe this is why I don't feel like I fit with any of the traditional church traditions.
No comments:
Post a Comment