Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Companies v's Countries

I have been a letter for a Amnesty International and while I still believe that is a great thing to do. I'm wondering if that is really only addressing half of the world's injustices. Often when I buy a product I wonder under what conditions the product was made. I cannot help but think that my power as a consumer maybe far stronger than my power as a citizen of a relatively unimportant foreign country. In 2007 I am planning to start writing letters like this.

Dear -company-

I am writing to ask that you please tell me about the conditions under which your -product- is made. I realise that much of the manufacturing process maybe outsourced to other companies but as it is -company- who I am buying the product from I believe it is your responsibility to know how your product is made.

I would like to purchase all my products from companies that pay it's producers a fair price and helps them gains the necessary skills and knowledge to develop their businesses and work their way out of poverty. Also I would like to buy from companies that have a neutral affect on the environment. If these things are not achievable I would at least like to purchase products from the industry leader in these matters.

If you can please write to me and let me know about these matters, including endorsements from any a well recognised NGOs. That would be much appreciated.

I realise that implementing some of these things may result in an increase in the final cost of the item. I am more than happy to pay this.

Yours Sincerely

Chris

Do you think they would have any impact?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would like to hope it would help...............
Did you see the doc China Blue?
Excellent resource on this topic.
Cheers for now, Merry Christmas to you all

Tania

Chris said...

Hey Tania!

I haven't seen China Blue, I 'll have to try and find it. I think I'll write the letters next year just to see what responses I get from companies.

Merry Christmas to you guys too!