Late last year I posted that the alternate service I've been wanting to do had been tested and ready to go. Unfortunately we've hit a small snag of having no where to run the thing late on a Sunday afternoon. This in my experience has always been the hardest thing about any alternate church things that might involve more than about 6 people. At the moment the choices are a tent (complete with grass and sheep poo) or someones house or do it at some time other than late Sunday afternoon. Or, we can wait a few months and get the time we want in the space we want. As much as I'm keen to start as soon as possible I'm even keener to do it well.
I've had it on my heart to do a service like this for a long time. Partly for my own sake but mostly for the sake of many Xns I know who are disconnected from church and Xn community and are looking for a place they can reconnect in some way. Usually these people are all pretty fragile when it comes to reconnecting with a Xn community so I'd really like the circumstances under which that happens to be as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether people who fall into this category will actually come to this thing I have no idea. What I do know is that shifting days as we go or meeting on manky grass or asking people to arrive 1hr after 5pm (on a week bight) or just before they have to work for the night or after they have to put kids to bed is going to be too big a stumbling block.
So we've decided to delay. I'll let you know when we launch it in a couple of months.
I've had it on my heart to do a service like this for a long time. Partly for my own sake but mostly for the sake of many Xns I know who are disconnected from church and Xn community and are looking for a place they can reconnect in some way. Usually these people are all pretty fragile when it comes to reconnecting with a Xn community so I'd really like the circumstances under which that happens to be as easy and comfortable as possible. Whether people who fall into this category will actually come to this thing I have no idea. What I do know is that shifting days as we go or meeting on manky grass or asking people to arrive 1hr after 5pm (on a week bight) or just before they have to work for the night or after they have to put kids to bed is going to be too big a stumbling block.
So we've decided to delay. I'll let you know when we launch it in a couple of months.
No comments:
Post a Comment