Saturday, December 10, 2005

If only the news

My strongest memory of any reframe gathering was hearing A speaker was lamenting the lack of social action by Xns and the church particularly in the are of War, Refugees, Indigenous Issues and the environment. She illustrated this by reading headlines and stories that she wished she heard on the radio or saw in the paper.

So, it was kind of spooky to hear on the news as I woke up yesterday that a small group calling themselves Christians Against All Terrorism had been arrested today attempting to conduct a citizens' inspection of the Pine Gap facility and objecting to its role in the war in Iraq. They claimed it is a base for activity which is a vital part of an international terrorist network since terrorism is planned violence against civilians for political objectives..

See this article in the Australian for more detail, or have a look at the CAAT blog.

I'm still undecided as to wether I agree or disagree with their actions. I think compares favourably to my own apathy though.

No comments: