Tuesday, April 19, 2005

A New Analogy for Atonement?

Okay in the last post I suggested Substitution as a pretty crappy analogy for Jesus death and resurrection. Not only because as far as analogies go it is pretty flawed but because it can also romanticise suffering. Often I have heard Xns talking about what it must be like to live in a country where Xy is actively persecuted and almost secretly wishing they were there, as it would make them feel better about being Xn.

Firstly I think forgiveness is different from being saved from sin. God already forgives in the Old Testament and there I can’t see why with much mercy God would not continue to do this. Perhaps, however we are saved from sin or more specifically a sinful way of living because Jesus shows a new way of living. Of which Jesus death is crucial because it shows us that it is possible to live a life of love that is not oppressive where a just life of love is rewarded with eternal life.

The original Matrix film tries to work in the whole death and resurrection thing into it’s narrative when during the final battle Neo dies and then after a 3 seconds rises to life. Perhaps a better death and resurrection an analogy maybe the eat the red pill or the blue pill scene. It is here that Neo leaves his world (dies to it) and later he is resurrected when he returns to the Matrix.

Neo sees his world in a new reality and lives accordingly. We don't have to conform to the sinful ways of this world because we see a new reality we live a life free from sin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Chris. The bit about blue pill red pill is sweet. Have you seen/ heard/read “The Nonviolent Atonement” by J. Denny Weaver? This guy rocks out and I’m really getting into his gear.

For me it intuitively it feels right and it also is solid theologically and biblically. The book is a conversation from a Historic Peace Church Perspective with Black Theology, Feminist Theology and Womanist Theology on the violent telling of atonement. I think you’d dig it.

Grace and peace,
Jarrod