As a Xn I feel the need to change the world and make it a better place, a more Eden like place. Praying "your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is on heaven", is surely matched by taking action to make the world a more just and loving place.
One of the greatest instruments of change is politics and for a long time I have felt both fiercely drawn to getting involved in politics and fiercely repelled by it.
I am drawn because I can see the social change that can be brought about by change in government policy. I have felt repelled because I can see how any new policy must appeal to 51% of the nations selfishness, particularly over money. Everyone wants to know not what parties are going to do but how much is going to be spent and in particular how much is going to be spent on themselves.
For example the argument over education is not about making sure every child gets a decent education and what strategies are going to be put in place to make sure that happens. It is all about whether more money goes to the private sector or the public sector.
What I want is for every child to be able to get a decent education. Whether that is by every single child going to a state school or every single child going to a private school (with say each parent given a certain amount of money for each child) and there are regulations on teaching standards / facilities and the spread of types of children that attend each school (social and academic - relative to the surrounding area). But alas no one is even talking like this it's all about who is going to get what money and yes that does effect the quality of education but that is secondary. Money is not the solution it funds the solution.
I would love to join a political party but until there is one brave enough to talk solutions first and funding second I don't think I will.
No comments:
Post a Comment