Sunday, May 12, 2013

2013 The Update On Change

Since the last post about change we found a house to move in to we put an offer on it, it got accepted and the... it failed the structural building inspection. Not just in a reduce the price kind of way but in a you can't use rooms of the house kind of way. For two weeks we went through a heck of a lot of stress including a team of friends helping us clean up the house to get it ready to sell, all for nothing.

After that house fell through the last handful of houses for sale in the area have all been more than we can afford. The latest literally next door to a good friend is likely to sell around $45,000 above what we can afford. Perth house prices have been booming and the area we want to move into seems to be booming a little more than our current area. There are simply more people than houses, rents have sky-rocketed and house prices are following. Probably most depressing is not the nice houses we can't afford but the ones above our budget that sells the week they're listed and it's not a house we would want to buy.
 
Right now I’m angry and I’m starting to think “this ain’t going to happen”. I'm angry I don't have the capacity to move from one of Perth's least reputable suburbs to another of Perth's least reputable suburbs. I'm angry that my earning capacity is significantly less than most 40 year old males I know. I’m angry that we had to send my wife to work because I couldn’t earn nearly as much as a her (a primary school teacher). I’m angry that when I’m in a conversation where people are talking about needing $60,000 I feel like exploding in to a rage of “What friggin' planet are you on!”. I’m angry about 2012 and that 2013 isn’t looking too much different.

No comments: