In Australia the stereotype for the worst kind of unemployed person is something like this... They sit around sometimes for years, sometimes for generations waiting to hear from someone agency offering them a job. They just fill out all the necessary paper work but apart from that they just sit and wait for a job to turn up no matter how unlikely that might be. They don't think outside the box, they have no entrepreneurial spirit, they don't even think of another way of getting a job, they just trust the system alone.
By contrast...
In Australia the stereotype for the best kind of refugee is
something like this... They sit around sometimes for years, sometimes
for generations waiting to hear from someone agency offering them a
place in Australia. They just fill out all the necessary paper work but apart from that they just sit and wait for a place to turn up no matter how unlikely that
might be. They don't think outside the box, they have no entrepreneurial
spirit, they don't even think of another way of getting a place, they
just trust the system alone.
If you had to choose between refugees who are labelled "queue jumpers" or those who have waited for a place to come up, it strikes me that maybe we could do with a few more "queue jumpers".
7 comments:
Except that the number of those who want to get into Australia is in the tens of millions and absorbing that many people, even with the best will in the world, would have catastrophic effects on an already strained ecosystem.
I don't know how people can be both "Green" ("Let's limit the number of people and the amount they consume!")with unlimited immigration ("There's always room for many more-laws about immigration are cruel; 'No human being can be illegal'").
Wishful thinking-and dangerous and disastrous in its effects.
Hello Mr Turnip, I'm not sure that the number of refugees trying to get into Australia is in the tens of millions none the less you do raise a valid point. Increasing the population of any country will undoubtedly increase strain on the environment and the only way that the population could be increased without detrimental effect on the environment is for each person to reduce the effect they have on the environment, the amount of water they use etc...
So you want people to drastically reduce their living spaces and amount they consume at the same time they are told to live next to millions of new arrivals and spend the resources that would otherwise have gone for their projects and lives on these new strangers?
In other words, you want something impossible? Or you just want to call for it, maybe let a few "reffos" live in your church's basement, as a way of being "prophetic"?
By the way, yet it is "tens of millions"; the BBC did a survey in Bangladesh, India and Pakistan and "tens of millions" in those countries (total population 1.6 billion)would "like to move to Australia".
Hello Mr Turnip,
I think you're reading more into my initial post than is actually there. The initial post was a reaction to the idea that "we don't want these kind of people in Australia" (Refugees arriving by boat). I did not suggest that we should let everyone who would like to come Australia in. There is a big difference between those arriving by boat (that the post originally referred to) and those who would "like to move to Australia". I believe that there is a lot of room to move between our current policy and a completely open border policy, which it looks like you think I'm suggesting.
All the people who set foot in your country send a message-"All you have to do is get in a boat and make it and they'll feel politically and emotionally manipulated into keeping you. It's like winning the lottery-there are risks but there's a huge payoff at the end of it."
Rewarding those who break the law or ignore it encourages others to do the same.
Ermmm... it's not actually illegal to get on a boat and seek asylum in Australia. I assume one of the reasons people think they'll be accepted is that we've signed the refugee convention saying that we would do exactly that. If we unsigned that convention then that would make it illegal. Perhaps this is something that those who would like tougher border controls should be advocating for?
I'm anti boat because I am anti people drowning at sea, I'm not anti immigration. However, I freely admit I don’t know what the alternative is. I DO think it should be a priority for this country. I would like to see these scummy people smudges punished accordingly. Again, I know I am dreaming in this too :(
Post a Comment