Last night I went to a small group (Bible study) where we looked at the concept
Joy (one of the fruits of the spirit). We were asked to being something to share. This is what I brought.
---
Nothing makes me grown more than the concept of Joy. Being thankful or content I can do. Being at peace or having hope I can do but Joy can just get stuffed. When I hear someone sing "I've got that joy joy down in my heart (where?) down in my heart" I just want to slump and start singing "I've swept all my troubles under the carpet (where) under the carpet" or "I've put the world's problems out of my mind (where) out of my mind".
We live in a world where every advertisement stars someone with an everlasting smile that we too can have if we buy a particular car or buy a particular brown fizzy liquid. Most films end with an everlasting smile on the face of the stars, a smile you too will have once a rich beautiful man sweeps you off your feet or once you secure your fortune and the girl of you dreams falls in love with you.
I have found my dream partner and compared to most of the world and history I am insanely rich. I have bought hundreds of gadgets and toys to give me that everlasting smile and they have not worked. When I look at the pain and brokenness of the world I can't help but be melancholic. Melancholic but thankful. Thankful because there but for the grace of God go I and for that I feel thankful and blessed.
Charis is the Greek word translated as joy. It is from the same root word that we get grace (charis) as in the grace of God. Another translation of joy could be "grace recognised" and that I can do. God's grace makes me feel thankful, content and at peace, just not joyful. Not in that everlasting smile sense of the world, not this side of heaven.
No comments:
Post a Comment