Growing up evangelical I never really got the whole reading prayers or having disciplined times for reading thing. As I've grown older and my beliefs have turned from black and white to grey and I've started to want some kind of ritual and structure in my life. After working for the Anglican church I felt like I really got to understand and appreciate why people loved liturgy. I also discovered I wasn't one of those people.
So, in many ways I feel like Common Prayer (A Liturgy For Ordinary Radicals) was written with people just like me in mind. It doesn't follow the church calendar but will remind you that Advent, Lent and Pentecost are coming up. There is a different morning prayer and Bible readings for everyday of the year and a bit on the life of a saint. Saints range from St Francis through to Dorothy Day, Oscar Romero and Mother Teresa. There is one midday prayer and 7 evening prayers (one for each day of the week). There are also a bunch of prayers / liturgies for special occasions and the music for 50 classic church songs.
It is truly a great resource and something I now use every day.
If you want to trial it for free visit the website commonprayer.net. I bought the book because I'd rather not turn on a computer three times a day and for a book that's nearly 600 pages it was really cheap.
1 comment:
Just before I left the Anglican church, the Liturgy was something that I was very much just starting to appreciate. Now that I'm in the Salvos, I do kinda miss it as they don't really have it.
I know my mum has loved that book, maybe I'll have to get my hands on it as well.
Post a Comment