Saturday, August 13, 2011

Jesus Is Too Hard So I'm Trying John The Baptist Instead

Jesus once said "if you have two wah wah pedals give one to someone who has none. If you have two TVs give one away" Actually he didn't say that he said "sell what you own, and give the money to the poor" although I suspect this wasn't meant to be exclusively about outer garments. Inspired by an interview with Mark Scandrette on his new book "The Jesus Dojo" I'm trying* to divest myself of half of everything I own, John the Baptist style (Luke 3:11).

Fortunately for me a lot of the stuff I own is broken useless crap that may one day be useful for fixing something else that is broken. So this year might not be to hard, especially when I'm keeping the really good wah wah and TV and getting rid of the crappy ones. However next time I read Luke 3:11 it's going to be much tougher to get rid of half of the remaining half, the time after that even tougher and the time after that I'll be thinking why didn't I just go straight to Mark 10:21.

*For all of you thinking wow good on you please note the word "trying" and I have not yet successfully given away half of what I own.

No comments: