It's pretty easy to level this kind of criticism at younger people who have hundreds of friends on Facebook but aren't meeting up with the all and playing cricket in the street. The reality is we do not have a community any more. Not in the nostalgic 1950s sense or the "Desperate Housewives" sense where everyone's friends and workmates all live on the same street.
I don't know whether existed but it certainly doesn't now. Most people don't exist in a communities in that sense but a series of networks. A network of social friends, church, work, sport, hobbies and neighbours. Each are different and it's rare that these networks intersect. And it's usually expected that they won't, most people moving into a new suburb will not be expecting to find some new friends in the area, they'll be busy hanging out with the friends they already have.
Popularity has not replaced this idea of community networks have. Every time I see the words "community church" as much as I heartily support the sentiment, I bet there are few people in the local community who feel some kind of affinity with the church.
The church I am at is much the same a great outward focus with the motto "promoting life in our community" I personally find that task overwhelming I wonder if it is was changed to "promoting life in our networks" whether it would seem less daunting.
I don't know whether existed but it certainly doesn't now. Most people don't exist in a communities in that sense but a series of networks. A network of social friends, church, work, sport, hobbies and neighbours. Each are different and it's rare that these networks intersect. And it's usually expected that they won't, most people moving into a new suburb will not be expecting to find some new friends in the area, they'll be busy hanging out with the friends they already have.
Popularity has not replaced this idea of community networks have. Every time I see the words "community church" as much as I heartily support the sentiment, I bet there are few people in the local community who feel some kind of affinity with the church.
The church I am at is much the same a great outward focus with the motto "promoting life in our community" I personally find that task overwhelming I wonder if it is was changed to "promoting life in our networks" whether it would seem less daunting.
3 comments:
You have some very good points. Our communities are "cyber", which is indeed very sad. Something needs to change - and quickly.
We at the moment are trying to get the Street theme going ... 3 ladies got together and we had a BBQ in the vacant Block next door - over 70 rocked up and it was I think a great time of community. The vacant block we are hoping will become a community garden.
Our next event is an ANZAC day breakfast.
My church has a similar community bent, holding a fete once a year, and a community carols in December, amongst other things, which attract the nearby community.
However, apart from the Church itself being a community, the vast majority of the congregation don't live in the immediate area. A Church in Floreat, with members from Greenwood, Bassendeen, even Kalamunda.
There are good points to having a close immediate community, but I think the more important point is that you have a community to rely on. Whether it's in your street, or at your church, it doesn't matter, so long as it's there.
Post a Comment