I have never been a fan of Kyle Sandilands. But, I can’t help but feeling that in the furor over the incident on his breakfast show that some key things were missed. What was most shocking for me in the whole incident was not Sandilands reaction but...
- That a 12 year old had been raped.
- That a 14 year old was put under a lie detector test and asked questions about her sex life.
- The question about her sex life was being asked by her mother who the daughter had already told about the incident.
I assume that after the revelation that she had been raped the "is that your only experience" question he asked was probably a way of trying to affirm that she was not sexually active teenager, which is what the mother's question was trying to find out. The incident was unquestionably badly handled but, in the heat of live comedy radio I think many might have done the same. I have some sympathy for Sandliands who is being crucified while all the other issues are being ignored.
I think the media can do better than concentrate on just one element of this story.
I think the media can do better than concentrate on just one element of this story.
4 comments:
Sorry Chris, it's impossible to have any sympathy for anyone who thought it was good entertainment to interrogate a 14yo on her sexual history. It doesn't matter how irresponsible her mother may be..it was a deliberate choice to use this child for entertainment purposes. I have no sympathy for Kyle, or the radio station that employs him.
JP
Fair enough JP. It's only some sympathy and it was only relative to all the other guilty parties getting away scot free
I think he's partly a scapegoat. Long time in the making, but still true. Just like a basketball ref who doesn't call any fouls then complains when the game gets rough, I think the public have something to answer for.
If everyone ignored the style of this man (like I have happened to, without any planning tho), the style would be shown not to sell advertisement placements on commercial television and radio. Don't get me wrong, Kyle is part of the problem, but it's much bigger than him.
Hey Greg,
Re: "Kyle is part of the problem, but it's much bigger than him" My thoughts exactly.
Post a Comment