What does it take for a complete stranger to ask what's "wrong with you?" Chastising your kids in public, nearly causing a car accident? No, alcohol.
I was at a wedding recently in tropical Queensland, the day was swelteringly hot and it was the break between the wedding and reception. After having a beer with some other guest I got myself a water only to be distainfully asked "wrong with you?" by a fellow guest who was holding a beer. What was wrong with me was that I was not just drinking alcohol but I was drinking water as well.
Working in a drug and alcohol agency I get to see a lot of negatives of alcohol. No drug does more damage than alcohol, perhaps if we viewed using it as a privilege, like native Americans with peyote, we might have more respect for it, both the pleasure it can give and the damage it can do.
1 comment:
Amen to that!! I work in an emergency dept as an orderly and I see the "other side" of the alcohol coin. What amazes me is that the people I work with have the same flippant attitude to alcohol even though they see the devestation it causes. Patching up smashed people on the weekdays and going out and getting shifaced on the weekends!!
Post a Comment