I'm used to having one or maybe two comments at the most to each post I put up. So It was a bit of a surprise to go away for Christmas and come back to find 15 comments on my last post. I originally intended on going through all of the comments on my last post and give my two cents to what I thought about some of the comments. I started writing about...
- the parallels between scientific skepticism and post modern doubt. That post modernism didn't occur in a vacuum, but cam e out of modernism and maybe we're too close to them both to see the similarities.
- the authority of status compared to the authority of content. This is quite important to the debate so I'll write about this eventually.
- the complexity and simplicity of the idea of "love God and love others" and that because Jesus was often counter cultural leading not always simple black and white responses it makes loving often gray & difficult
- that initially I chose to follow Jesus because of my morality/ethics rather than following and then getting ethics. Which is not to say that I don't learn from Jesus.
- there are a few ways to answer every moral dilemma, utilitarianism for example isn't always applicable, so there is something over and above this more simple formulas.
- the problem of much of Jesus' teaching is how to apply it. It is not always easy to know what Jesus would do.
As I churned through some of the lengthy comments from Paul and Arthur (thanks heaps for reading and commenting, I do appreciate it) I realised i was only up comment five of fifteen comments and it already started to look like a small novel so i stopped. And all from saying "I'm wondering if in fact doubt feeds compassion". I'll make sure I don't start sentences with "I am sure that...".
Anyway, I stared thinking what comes out of a debate like the one Paul and Arthur had? My guess is just two frustrated debaters who walk away not unconvinced of what they originally believed but, at best just unconvinced how to express what they believe to make it is as clear as possible to the other. It's perhaps even worth asking "Why Argue with a Xn / Atheist?" or ask "why would I have such a debate?" and "What are we trying to achieve?" Winning a debate doesn't necessarily mean the other person is wrong (they may just be a poor debater). Proving one aspect or way of getting to some conclusion doesn't necessarily dismiss that conclusion. For example, proving creationism wrong doesn't show God doesn't exist.
None the less, I think It's worth admitting that we all bring baggage to debates like this, including myself of course. We all have ideas of what a Xn or Atheist is like or believes before we talk to one, often because have been unfairly burnt in the past. I bet that rarely does anyone ever convince the other person or bystanders with opposite beliefs in these debates. There are debates to be had I think if they are best when about, specific issues like creationism or chaplains in schools. These more focused debates can be won and lost. The problem with a Nazi is not that they identify as a Nazi per se but that they deny the holocaust, hate foreigners etc... The same is true for Xns and Atheists. People end up not liking Nazis because they disagree with everything they stand for.
This quick reflection is not in anyway meant to be a chastisement of Paul and Arthur I do sincerely appreciate their contribution, and that they both realised the debate was going in circles before getting to grubby name calling. It is just a reflection on a trap Xns and Atheists alike often find ourselves in. The one thing that Xns and Atheists have in common is that we care how we live and we care how we treat each other. That I think is worth remembering if not even worth celebrating.
Anyway, I stared thinking what comes out of a debate like the one Paul and Arthur had? My guess is just two frustrated debaters who walk away not unconvinced of what they originally believed but, at best just unconvinced how to express what they believe to make it is as clear as possible to the other. It's perhaps even worth asking "Why Argue with a Xn / Atheist?" or ask "why would I have such a debate?" and "What are we trying to achieve?" Winning a debate doesn't necessarily mean the other person is wrong (they may just be a poor debater). Proving one aspect or way of getting to some conclusion doesn't necessarily dismiss that conclusion. For example, proving creationism wrong doesn't show God doesn't exist.
None the less, I think It's worth admitting that we all bring baggage to debates like this, including myself of course. We all have ideas of what a Xn or Atheist is like or believes before we talk to one, often because have been unfairly burnt in the past. I bet that rarely does anyone ever convince the other person or bystanders with opposite beliefs in these debates. There are debates to be had I think if they are best when about, specific issues like creationism or chaplains in schools. These more focused debates can be won and lost. The problem with a Nazi is not that they identify as a Nazi per se but that they deny the holocaust, hate foreigners etc... The same is true for Xns and Atheists. People end up not liking Nazis because they disagree with everything they stand for.
This quick reflection is not in anyway meant to be a chastisement of Paul and Arthur I do sincerely appreciate their contribution, and that they both realised the debate was going in circles before getting to grubby name calling. It is just a reflection on a trap Xns and Atheists alike often find ourselves in. The one thing that Xns and Atheists have in common is that we care how we live and we care how we treat each other. That I think is worth remembering if not even worth celebrating.
5 comments:
I want to say Christ that this is an excellent post brother. I want you to know that I have enjoyed reading your blog and looking forward to future posts. I would love for you to join in any discussion that may be going on at my blog anytime. I really like the way you think about church and how Christianity should be. I have added your blog to my favorites. I want to encourage you to keep, keeping on and know that God will bless you in the Name of Jesus Christ. I pray that 2008 will be a great year for your life brother.
In Him,
Kinney Mabry
AKa
Preacherman
Thanks for the post, Chris. I deeply appreciate it.
Trevor Cairney reviewed a book that I think will help Atheists, Christians and everyone else to better understand and engage with one another: What’s your view of the world in 2008?.
Quote:
"Worldview is a great topic that can stimulate deep academic and theological discussions, but it is also foundational for anyone who wants to discuss ideas and ponder life with others. It is helpful to be sure of why we believe the things we do, and why others confuse and frustrate us by not being able to see the world just the way we do."
Anyway, I stared thinking what comes out of a debate like the one Paul and Arthur had?
Debates don't always have to be conducted with the objective of convincing the other party to accept your point of view. Sometimes the presuppositions on both sides are so incommensurable that there is little to no hope of achieving consensus, at least not on the substantive issues. My own view is that even in these seemingly hopeless circumstances there is something to be salvaged, if only the opportunity to hone one's argumentative skills and test the rigor of one's own ideas and beliefs. In any case, debates like this certainly don't have to be acrimonious, even if there is little likelihood of the contending parties seeing eye-to-eye.
It is also worth noting that our debate might not have become so acrimonious had there been more than two participants.
Hello everyone,
Thanks for the comments.
Preacher man, thanks for your encouragement.
Paul, world view is an interesting topic and on often ignored in more simplistic liberal vs conservative debates.
Arthur, thanks for the comments. I'm still not sure of the value of debates on blogs apart from the value in honing ones debating skills. I have to say my Xn views have been most challenged not by atheist bloggers or forum contributers but from listening to experts in their field on the radio podcast Point of Inquiry Are you a listener?
I'm not a regular listener, though I should be.
Arthur, thanks for the comments. I'm still not sure of the value of debates on blogs apart from the value in honing ones debating skills.
I think the value of a debate depends on how much the participants learn from the experience (even if they don't actually learn from their interlocutors). I've found on various occasions that my thinking on various topics has been "concretised" (so to speak) in the context of debate/argument.
Post a Comment