Connect with People
- Family: For me this means making sure I have a cup of tea with the wife every day
- Friends: For me that's going to start by inviting different friends over to dinner more often
- Geographic Community: At the moment that means walking around the neighbourhood and slowly saying hi to people
- Christian Community: At the moment that means connecting with people at the church I'm at.
- The Poor: At the moment I'm doing this through work
- Stranger: This is something I can't plan
- Pray: This is not structured but something I look back on just to check that I'm regularly praying
- Meditate: I try and make sure that I take time out at least once a week to do this.
- Read the Bible / Xn books
- Listen to the Bible / Xn talks : At the moment I've been listening to a fair bit of Tom Wright. Mostly I do this on the way to and from work
- Go to the Space: The Reflective service I am involved in
- Read
- Listen to podcasts
- Play Guitar and Busk
- Blog
- Exercise
- Family
- Friends
- Geographic Community
- Christian Community: Mostly doing stuff at church
- The Poor: My Job
- Stranger: Writing Letters for Amnesty
2 comments:
Perhaps I'm off base, but it seems to me that the very act of breaking things down like this kills the ability to "love God and love others." These aren't chores to do. "Balance" here among the categories means nothing. What matters is your relationship with Jesus. Is it real? Is it vibrant? Is each day filled with thanksgiving to Him and an eagerness to see where He leads you?
Real fellowship with believers - where you can talk about Jesus all day - is rare but is what a church should be. I am blessed to be in a church with believers like this. We are small - about a dozen families - you could call us a home church that happens to have a building - and because we are small, it is even more "like a nudist colony" to visit us. If people are looking for a flashy service or a place to "get their balance" of church, they will be disappointed in us and not stay. But for those rare folks who really hunger for Jesus and to see the hunger lived out in community, they will find their desires filled. I pray you could find a body like this.
Hey There Anon,
I don't really consider the above list chores but merely a guide. And I am sure I will be led to do other things which don't neatly fit into my boxes. And that's fine. I guess all I've tried to is find a default position for when I'm not being led to do something in particular. Which can be quite often.
Yes it would be great to find a group of people to meet with like you have and there are times in my life where I felt like I had found that and other times where I haven't. Part of the reason for writing this blog was really for those who have found themselves without such a group.
Chris
Post a Comment