It's Saturday night and I'm feeling pretty tired today, having got up for a strange work phone call at 1:30 am . The last thing I feel like doing is going to church tomorrow morning. I'm not rostered onto do anything so I'm going to wag. I go through cycles but at the moment I'm finding particularly hard to work out what the point of meeting as a large group is. I'm becoming more and more convinced that church is about as communal an experience as watching a movie. Having listened to Ephesians, Micah and a couple of N. T. Wright sermons on my iPod I'm in the mood to connect with God maybe via meditation. I'm keen to reflect on Ephesians 2:19-22.
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord;
What does it means that the church / people of God is where God dwells when often I just don't feel like hanging out with Xns and doing the kind of things that Xns do when they get together.
2 comments:
Hi Chris, I really enjoy reading your blog and find myself sharing many of the large-group-gathering struggles that you talk about. Can I just ask for an example of what you mean by "the kind of things that Xns do when they get together" ?
Gorgeous photo of your daughter by the way, congrats :)
Hi Karyn,
Thanks for your kind words. When I say "the kind of things that Xns do when they get together", I'm basically talking about the Sunday service kind of things. Like the sermon and the communal singing (a real low point for me). Other things I'm not so keen and social activities which are just a get together for people in the church and endless committees and meetings which end up taking so much of peoples time.
I've known to many people (myself included) that have, with the best intentions, got heavily involved in church only to find that five years later they kno no non Xn people and they aren't really doing anything to make the world a more just, peaceful or better place.
Post a Comment